Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Storm Strikes Several Southeast States

"1 dead, several hurt as storm hits Southeast"

Okay so I'm not posting so much on this article becuase I thought it was interesting, but more or less because it pissed me off. There are plenty of other things to worry about right now in the world in terms of weather or hazard events but the one that gets reported is "severe wind damage" due to a possible tornado. Imagine if Kansas got put on the news everytime some wind damaged a couple of houses. I mean I understand that someone died and a few people got hurt but this really shouldn't be such a big deal. To put this in perspective the article clearly states that four, yes FOUR houses in Alabama were damaged. They go on to say this was "the worst bout of weather the state has seen since April" This picture below really does a justice to this whole situation


This picture displays one of the destroyed homes in the Louisiana town of Houma, where as far as I can tell from this news report was the ONLY
home that was destroyed. This goes hand in hand with what we talked about in class where if a few people die or something moderately bad happens and happens on US soil you'd better damn well believe that its getting reported over something that's happening in Africa. While this report was being typed up by some journalist at the MSNBC headquarters I'd be willing to bet that there was an earthquake that happened somewhere in southeast Asia that caused more damage, and will subsequently get .2% of the coverage this does.

Extra Note: The article also mentions that gusts of wind were 'up to' 30 mph. I think when we walk across the footbridge here in Eau Claire we experience anywhere from 15-30 mph wind gusts, and that's when it's already 0 degrees outside, and I don't get blown over, how the hell does a house fall from 30 mph gusts? I cant wrap my head around this.

No comments:

Post a Comment